Sometimes, you want fuss. Sometimes, you want frivolity. Sometimes you want something delicate and delicious that’s taken hours to craft in your kitchen. Sometimes you want pasta smothered in a rich, satisfying sauce. Sometimes you want a plate of food that’s been styled to within and inch of its life and including smears of things and maybe even a pea mousse. Sometimes you want the very height of culinary sophistication.
And sometimes you want a burger.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting a burger.
This is a chilli and coriander burger. It’s also got bacon, because I’m firmly of the opinion that ALL the best burgers have bacon on them. Serve it with crunchy salad, with seasoned wedges, and with some kind of tomato relish or chutney for maximum enjoyment.
To make four burgers, you will need:
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 egg
- A small handful of chopped corriander
- 4 bread buns
- 4 slices of bacon
- Put the onion, the minced beef, the chilli, the egg and the coriander in a bowl with generous pinches of salt and pepper.Use your clean hands to mix everything together well
- Separate into four patties and put them on a plate and in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Fry the burgers in a large, hot frying pan for five minutes on each side. Use a spatula to press the patties into the pan
- Split the bread buns and put the hot patties inside. Immediately fry the bacon in the hot pan until crispy, and top the burgers with the bacon and salad