I love making meringue – it’s so satisfying and I find piping very therapeutic. Colourful meringues like these are very popular at the moment – they make lovely additions to wedding dessert tables, and they’ve been made ever more famous by people like The Meringue Girls.
Luckily, this adorable treats are super easy to make! You just need some good strong food colouring paste or gel (not the liquid stuff) and a piping bag, plus a round nozzle.
To make around 25 meringue kisses, you need:
- 3 egg whites
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- food colouring gel
- Preheat the oven to 120°c.
- Whisk the egg whites on a medium speed until they’re cloudy and soft.
- One dessert spoon at a time – when you’ve added half, add in the cornflour.
- Continue to add the sugar and beat until you have stiff peaks.
- Fit a flat round nozzle to a disposable piping bag and then turn the bag inside out. Paint the food dye up the insides of the bag and carefully turn it inside in.
- Fill the bag with the meringue mix.
- Pipe the kisses out onto some baking trays lined with baking parchment.
- Bake for an hour and then turn the oven off. Crack the oven door open a tiny bit but don’t take them out.
- When the oven is cold, remove them! Serve with whatever you like – but strawbs and cream are my favourite!