This is one of my favourite weeknight meals – it’s super quick and easy to make, plus you can pretty much make it with whatever veggies you have in your fridge – peppers, courgettes, tomatoes, onions, and aubergine all work beautifully. Go with whatever you’ve got and as long as you have a tomatoey base, you will have a delicious and very nutritious meal. If you’re watching your weight, you can actually make this dish without the pasta – it’s actually very tasty on its own as a veggie ratatouille style meal. Start to finish, this recipe shouldn’t take more than 20-30 mins.
You will need:
- 300-400g fresh pasta (I use tortellini) (you can use dried but you will need to add extra time in for cooking it)
- 1 bottle or carton of tomato passata or some tinned tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 courgettes
- 1 pepper
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- herbs of your choosing (I use a pinch of oregano and a handful of fresh basil)
- salt and pepper
- grana padano or parmesan, grated finely
- basil for garnish
- Warm a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan, and chop up your onion. I chop it quite finely but it’s up to you.
- Pop the onion into the saucepan and stir until it is gently browned. While it is browning, chop your courgettes in half down down the middle and chop into small chunks. Chop up your garlic finely and press gently with the flat part of your knife to release the flavours. Deseed and chop your pepper.
- Add the courgettes, pepper, and garlic to the the onions and stir well. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring very regularly. You might need to add a bit more oil if the veggies are sticking.
- Now add your pasata or tomatoes. Again, this is a judgement call. I usually use about half a bottle of passata (or one carton) but you can add more or less depending on how tomatoey you like your ratatouille sauce.
- Stir in the pasata gently and turn the heat right down. Add your herbs and salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. While it is cooking, cook your pasta. If you’re going for the fresh pasta, you will only need to cook it for a couple of mins. If you go for dried, get your pasta cooking as soon as you add the pasata.
- While it’s cooking, grate your cheese.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and dish up. Ladle your sauce on top and sprinkle the grated cheese. Add a touch of basil for garnish and serve!