Chilli is one of my all time favourite meals – it’s healthy, filling, and ever so moreish. Plus it’s cheap and easy to make, which means it’s the best weeknight meal ever. I bulk mine out with loads of beans for extra protein, fibre, and iron. You can also make this bad boy without meat – the beans mean it’s filling and hearty with or without mince!
The beans are all interchangeable – you could do cannellini beans, baked beans (washed), butter beans, kidney beans – whatever you’ve got. I tend to use three bean salad, kidney beans, and butter beans – hence the five bean chilli. It’s best with some rice or a jacket potato.
For 4-6 portions, you need:
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 or 2 peppers, diced
- 1 carton of passata
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of three bean mix in water
- 1 can of butter beans
- 1-3 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- cheddar, grated
- sour cream
- Pop a dash of oil or cooking spray into a large saucepan on a medium heat. Chuck in the chopped onions and fry until golden brown. Add the mince and cook until browned.
- Add the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the pepper, the chopped tomatoes, and the passata, chilli, cumin, and paprika and stir. Cook for 10 mins and then season and taste. If you want more chilli, add more chilli – remember, you can always add but you can’t take away so be sparing at first!
- Pop the beans into a colander and rinse them thoroughly. Add them to the chilli and stir. Cook for another 10-20 mins or so.
- When you’re ready to serve, stick a dollop of cream cheese on top and sprinkle with cheese!
- Serve with a baked potato, potato wedges, brown rice, white rice – whatever you fancy.