This is one of my mum’s recipes – a real family classic! It’s perfect for the barbecue, as the honey caramelises and really complements the soy. It takes a couple of minutes to make and is best done the day before so the chicken can marinade overnight.
For four chicken breasts or six thighs, you need:
- 100g honey
- 35 ml soy sauce
- 35 ml oil
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 3-4 spring onions, diced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Score your chicken breasts or thighs and add them to the mix. Stir to ensure they are each well coated.
- Cover and put in the fridge overnight (can be done up to 2 days in advance).
- Remove from the fridge an hour before you need them.
- Grill or barbecue them for around 8 mins on each side – cut one in half to check they’re cooked. When there is no more pink remaining, they’re done.
- Serve with new potatoes and salad.