These are all kinds of delicious! I used to make these with my mum when I was small and they’re just as fun and tasty now as they were 20 years ago! They’re perfect for making cheap treats in bulk, so they’re ideal for lunch boxes and party food. The brown butter gives them a slightly more sophisticated air and they take on a really delicious flavour.
- 120g butter
- 400g marshmallows
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 350g rice krispies
- A 13”x9” dish, well buttered and lined with parchment
- Pop a large saucepan on a medium heat and add the butter. Slowly brown the butter – keep whisking it until it takes on a golden brown colour and starts to smell slightly nutty but don’t let it go too dark or it will burn.
- Add the marshmallows and turn the heat down. Stir regularly until the marshmallows have completely melted. This takes 5-10 mins. Add the vanilla extract and stir until well combined.
- Now, take the pan off the heat and stir in the rice krispies as quickly as you can – they will start to become incredibly sticky very quickly! Turn out the mixture into your prepared dish and pat down until flat. Leave to set for an hour.
- Cut the krispie cake into squares and serve! These are excellent lunch box treats and they keep for up to a week in an airtight container.