Sometimes, my own greed gets the better of me. And I’m okay with that, because it creates things like this.
This is Mac ‘n’ Cheese ‘n’ Chorizo. You know how good mac ‘n’ cheese is? Well, add to that the intense, spiced flavour of cooking chorizo and that’s what you’ve got here. It’s gorgeous.
I’ve made a token effort to healthy-it-up with lots of vegetables, but guys. Don’t eat this for health reasons. Eat it to make yourself happy. It does a really good job of that.
Serves 4, or 6 with salad
You will need:
- 200g macaroni
- 200g chorizo cooking sausage
- 1 red onion
- 2 peppers, one red and one green
- 1 red chilli
- 2 levels tablespoons of flour
- 240ml of milk (whole or semi-skimmed)
- 160g cheddar, grated
- 100g baked beans
- 120g canned sweetcorn
Preheat your oven to 190C. Dice the cooking chorizo and the red onion. Deseed and dice the chilli and the peppers
Following the instructions on the packet, cook the macaroni. Drain well once finished
Whilst the macaroni is cooking, cook the chorizo over a medium heat in a frying pan for about 4-5 minutes — it should be just starting to get crispy and leaking oil. Add the onion, chilli and peppers to the pan and stir for a few minutes, until the vegetables have started to soften and everything is coated in the chorizo oil
- Add the flour to the veg and stir to combine. Add the milk, a little bit at a time, and stir well between each addiction to make sure everything is fully combined. This should create a thick sauce
- Stir 100g of the cheese into this sauce until it’s completely melted. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the drained macaroni, the baked beans and the sweetcorn
- Put the contents of the pan into an ovenproof dish and even out the top with the back of a spoon. Cover with the remaining cheese
- Bake the ovenproof dish in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy