Everyone loves a good fruit cake – they last ages and they’re brilliant to have on standby in the cupboard. This one is lovely and moist – and best of all, it’s easy peasy to make!
You can make it in a loaf tin, or if you fancy cutting it into small squares, you can use an 8″ square tin.
- 150g demerara sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 tin (400g) of crushed pineapple
- 400g mixed fruit
- 120g glace cherries
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 2 eggs
- 250g self raising flour
- Pop the sugar, butter, pineapple, dried fruit, and cherries into a large saucepan and warm on a low heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Turn the heat off and leave to cool for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Beat the eggs in a mug and add to the mixture. Add the flour and stir until well combined. Don’t overmix.
- Line your cake tin with baking parchment.
- Pour in the cake mix. Bake in the oven for 1 – 1 1/2 hours until the crust is dark golden and a skewer comes out clean. It will keep for a week or so in an airtight container.