You could have this for breakfast. It’s the kind of thing that’d be good to make when friends are over, when you’ve had a heavy night the night before and want something to soak up the pain but also don’t want to have to put a lot of effort in because ohmygodeverything hurts.
Although, saying that, I only recommend making it if you have a food processor with a grater in it because grating sweet potatoes by hand is a pain in the arse.
Get yourself some crusty bread, some big mugs of tea and dig in. If you have chorizo I recommend throwing that in along with the peppers.
To serve two (easily doubled), you will need:
- Two medium-large sweet potatoes, grated
- Four spring onions, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- A handful of mushrooms, sliced
- Four eggs
- Grated hard cheese
- In a large, oven-safe frying pan, drizzle a little oil and fry the sweet potatoes in it for five minutes. Stir frequently
- Preheat your grill to high
- Throw in the peppers, onions and mushrooms. Keep stirring for 5 minutes more
- Use a spoon to make four little wells in the sweet potato and crack an egg into each one. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the white starts to turn cloudy and white
- Sprinkle each egg with cheese and put the pan under the grill for a minute or so more until the eggs are completely cooked to your liking. You want them runny – poke with a spoon to check
- Season well with good quality salt and pepper, then serve